School Values & Ethos
Welcome to Clare Mount Specialist Sports College. My name is Kim Webster and I have been the Head Teacher here since May 2014. It is a position I feel extremely privileged to have.
Clare Mount Specialist Sports College is a very successful and well-established specialist school for students aged 11 to 19 with moderate learning difficulties and additional needs such as autism. We currently have 223 students on roll.
The school has an outstanding reputation and has a highly skilled, dedicated and talented staff team who work together to ensure all students experience an engaging curriculum tailored to meet their individual needs. Every student is treated as an individual whilst being encouraged to be an active and positive member of the school community and a global citizen. We recognise that happy and motivated students will achieve and so we take our responsibilities here very seriously. As a result there is a safe, caring and supportive ethos that enables our students to be happy at school and succeed in their learning.
Clare Mount thrives on its success as a Specialist Sports College; the promotion of a healthy lifestyle and the encouragement of participation in a full range of activities support the learning of all our students across all subject areas. I am continually impressed with the willingness of staff to go the extra mile to organise for our students a wealth of extra-curricular activities of which standards here are very high.
We are united in our desire to ensure that all students reach their potential. We work collaboratively with parents, other training and learning providers and external agencies to support individual students. There are always opportunities for students to contribute to the wider life of the school through the School Council and charitable fund-raising projects.
We constantly seek to improve on our already high standards and strive to raise the aspirations and life chances of all our young people.
We embrace the 2012 paralympic vision for our young people:
`to be role models and catalysts for change`
We want our students to be confident to participate in society and demonstrate their abilities. We want them to have high aspirations for the future. We want to challenge them to be the best they can be.
- Place students at the heart of everything we do
- Work as a team to overcome barriers to learning
- Promote a rich and vibrant learning community which encourages all of us to think creatively and reflectively
- Enable our young people to develop their confidence, independence and self-esteem through positive learning experiences in a safe, supported and caring environment
- Prepare each student for the journey ahead by working collaboratively to develop their life and work based skills through a carefully crafted and personalised pathway
- Provide opportunities to experience success and celebrate individual achievement and enjoyment
- Encourage responsible and active citizenship
- Have high expectations of behaviour by promoting good manners, positive relationships and respect for ourselves and each other
- Enable students to participate in a variety of physical activities and experience a sense of well-being and self-confidence that arises from good health and fitness